Lessor/agents and managers are allowed to pass on the full cost of water consumption, provided:
- the rental premises are individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle), and
- the rental premises are water efficient, and
- the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption
Items a tenant can be charged
A breakdown of water charges is shown below.
|Charge as shown on water bill
||Can tenant be charged?
|State Bulk Water Charge
||Yes, tenant can be charged* Note: Where applicable, the bulk water rebate must be passed onto the tenant
|Water Usage Charges
||Yes, tenant can be charged*
|Sewerage Usage Charge (may appear on the bill as fixed or variable)
||No, tenant cannot be charged
Sewerage is not a service charge as defined by the Act and cannot be passed onto the tenant
|Fixed Access Charges
(including Water Access Charge and
Sewerage Access Charge)
No, tenant cannot be charged
The lessor must pay all fixed charges for water supply
*if the above criteria
The water meter reading should be recorded on the Entry condition report at the start of a tenancy.
- Rental premises are considered water efficient if certain water fixtures meet standards listed in the Water efficient premises page.
- At the start of the tenancy agreement, the lessor/agent and tenant should negotiate arrangements for water charging and the frequency of charges.
- Water billing periods are unlikely to align with tenancy agreements. It's important that the water meter reading is noted on the Entry condition report (Form 1a) when starting a tenancy, and on the Exit condition report (Form 14a) at the end of the tenancy.
- The presence of water efficient fittings should be noted on the Entry condition report .
- Taking a photo of the water meter at the start and end of a tenancy can help support what you have noted on the condition report forms.
- Lessors will receive the water bill and should provide their tenants with a copy of water bills or evidence of water consumption to verify the amount to be charged. Tenants will not be billed directly by water supply authorities.
- Tenants must be given 1 month to pay any water bill after receiving the notice from the lessor/agent.
Maximum 512 characters