Refund of rental bond (Form 4)

The Refund of rental bond (Form 4) is used to get your bond back from the RTA.

From 29 October 2012, the following form was merged into this form:

  • Form R4 - Refund of rental bond - Rooming accommodation

This form should be completed (preferably in black ink) when the tenancy agreement has ended.

Please provide your full name as shown on your identification.

All relevant fields need to be completed or processing delays may result.

The lessor/ agent/manager/provider and all bond contributors should complete and sign the form to show they agree with the way the bond money is to be refunded.

The fastest way for bond money to be refunded is by direct deposit into your bank account. Provide your bank account details to have the funds credited to your nominated account/s.

Direct credit refunds will be deposited to the nominated bank account/s within 2 business days of processing the refund form.

In the absence of bank account details, the RTA will issue a cheque to your forwarding address. For agents, funds will be directed to the bank account nominated on your Rental bond direct credit and email notification statement of agreement.

Refunds cannot be issued at the RTA’s client service counter.

Any person/s (registered on the bond) can complete and post (not fax or email) the original form to the RTA. The form must be signed by at least one person who is registered on the bond. This is called making a claim on the bond.

The RTA will then:

  • release any undisputed amounts of the bond (if appropriate)
  • hold any disputed amounts
  • send a Notice of claim to any person/s (registered on the bond) who did not sign the form

A Dispute resolution request (Form 16) will be included with the Notice of claim, and those who have not signed the form will have 14 days from the date on the notice to advise the RTA what action they wish to take.

If agreement cannot be reached, the RTA’s free dispute resolution service may be able to assist.

Appropriate notices are Notice to leave (Form 12)Notice of intention to leave (Form 13) or an Abandonment termination notice (Form 15) for which minimum notice periods apply. The RTA cannot accept non agreed refund forms prior to the expiry date of the above notices.
Where a bond loan is still outstanding, the loan balance will be deducted from the tenant’s refund amount and paid directly to the Department of Housing and Public Works.


To identify legitimate alterations to information on forms, particularly money values, parties must sign any alterations in full rather than initialling them. Signatures should be from each person whose amount has been reduced and for changes to bank details. Correction fluid must not be used.

Lodging your form

Faxed, emailed or photocopied forms will not be accepted.

  • online: where all parties agree on the refund, the form can be uploaded online. Conditions apply, refer to our Online bond refund information page for more details.
  • post to: RTA, GPO Box 390, Brisbane Q 4001
  • in person to: Level 23, 179 Turbot St, Brisbane Q 4000. Mon-Fri 8.30am – 5pm

It is an offence under Queensland law to knowingly give false or misleading information. Any person knowingly submitting false or misleading details on a Form 4 to the RTA is committing an offence.

Return signed original form (unless lodged online) to the RTA—keep a copy for your records.

More information is available on our Getting your rental bond back page.

Form 4 - Refund of rental bond

Download PDF icon PDF (99KB)
Current version: v2 Jul13

Submit agreed form online

Subscribe to the RSS