If a tenant would like to sub-let a room in a rental property, they must get written permission from the property manager/owner. Approved occupants should also be listed in the special terms of the tenancy agreement.

Rules of sub-letting

When a tenant named on an agreement gives another person the right to rent part, or all, of the property they are called a head-tenant. 

As a head-tenant, they have the same responsibilities as a property manager/owner. That includes providing the sub-tenant with:

Any agreement between a head-tenant and sub-tenant should be in writing, and it is recommended to include arrangements for sharing bills (e.g. gas, electricity or internet).

Whether occupants are co-tenants or sub-tenants depends on their specific circumstances and what has been agreed with the head-tenant.

If there is uncertainty about whether a person is classified as a tenant or a sub-tenant, call the RTA or make an urgent application to QCAT for a decision.

The property manager/owner is not responsible for resolving disputes between tenants.


All bonds must be lodged with the RTA using the Online Bond Lodgement facility, even when sub-letting or in boarder or lodger situations, failure to do so is an offence. All bond contributors must be listed on the form along with the amount paid.

Anyone receiving a bond must give a receipt to the person who pays the bond to them. This could be the property manager/owner or head-tenant.

Leaving the property

Before leaving a share home, all tenants should pay their share of any costs for cleaning, damage or unpaid rent.