The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) needs to collect personal information from clients to perform key functions under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008. Our Privacy plan details how we protect your privacy.
eServices privacy and security statement
The RTA is committed to protecting the privacy and security of eServices users.
We collect personal information in a number of ways, such as:
- when a person registers as a principal user of eServices, or updates personal information in eServices, and
- when a person completes and lodges an RTA form.
This information will not be disclosed to a third party without your consent unless authorised or required by law. The RTA will only use personal information in the ways detailed in the Privacy plan.
Your email address will not be added to a mailing list (unless requested), nor will we disclose it to third parties without your consent, unless required by law. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for trouble-shooting and maintenance.
Cookies allow a website to recognise you as you browse the site.
- type of browser, computer platform and screen resolution you are using
- your traffic patterns such as:
- date and time of your visit to eServices
- pages you have accessed and documents downloaded
- page visited before accessing eServices
- the internet address of the server accessing our eServices, and
- access to information collected
No attempt is, or will be, made to identify users or their browsing activities except, in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect activity logs.
Emails and information provided via web forms will be treated as a public record and will be retained as required by the Public Records Act 2002 and other relevant regulations.
Use and disclosure
We will only use personal information for the purpose it was given and for related, internal management purposes.
We do not share your personal information with other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless:
- you have consented
- you would expect us to, or we have told you we will
- it is required or authorised by law
The RTA takes all reasonable precautions to protect the personal information it holds from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.