Who is responsible for mould in a rental property?

It’s a grey area (or black or green) and one of the most commonly asked questions about rental property maintenance.

Mould comes in all shapes, forms, and places in a house or unit, and can be more wide spread depending on the season and where you are located in Queensland.

It usually occurs in damp, dark or steamy areas of the home - the bathroom or kitchen, cluttered storage areas, recently flooded or wet areas, and areas with poor ventilation.

In the aftermath of severe weather events, mould can quickly become an issue in water-damaged properties.

Deal with mould when it appears

If mould occurs, it should be dealt with quickly and thoroughly. In serious cases, a mould specialist may need to attend the property and determine the cause.

Mould in a regularly used shower recess may be the result of a persistent leak, while mould on the living room ceiling might indicate a structural problem or lack of ventilation.

When mould spores are present in large quantities, it can be a health hazard, potentially triggering allergic reactions and respiratory problems.

The Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 does not make specific reference to mould, but there are rules about the general standard of the property at the start and end of the tenancy, and how it should be maintained throughout.

Therefore, if mould is a problem at a rental property, all parties should be willing to communicate and find a mutually agreeable way to deal with the issue in a timely manner.

Read more or call the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) direct on 1300 366 311.

Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson