Security in rooming accommodation

Residents living in rooming accommodation (boarding houses) should consult the property manager/owner if they feel their security has been compromised.

The resident can ask that the room lock be changed or repaired if they feel there’s a risk to their safety or the theft of, or damage to their belongings.

The Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act stipulates the manager/owner must “not act unreasonably” in failing to agree to change or repair the lock.

If there’s a dispute over the replacement of a lock and negotiations have failed the tenant can apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) for a ruling on the issue of security.

QCAT is empowered to order the property manager/owner to change/provide and/or maintain a lock if there’s a risk involved.

The tribunal can take into account the resident’s insurance risk, the likelihood of break-ins and other factors.

As with other forms of accommodation, a resident’s belongings are his/her responsibility providing the premises is reasonably secure.

Original publication on 24 Jul 2018
Last updated on 24 Aug 2021

Note: While the RTA makes every reasonable effort to ensure that information on this website is accurate at the time of publication, changes in circumstances after publication may impact on the accuracy of material. This disclaimer is in addition to and does not limit the application of the Residential Tenancies Authority website disclaimer.