Latest Queensland Government rental reforms and announcements
- Rent increase changes - Legislation to limit rent increase frequency to once every 12 months will come into effect from 1 July 2023. Current rent increase rules apply until the new legislation comes into effect. Learn more on the Rent increase frequency changes page.
- Minimum housing standards from 1 September 2023 come into effect for new tenancies from 1 September 2023 and all tenancies from 1 September 2024. Learn more below.
The RTA encourages tenants, property managers and owners to take time to understand rental law changes and how they impact their rights and responsibilities.
Minimum housing standards
Minimum housing standards will come into effect for new tenancies from 1 September 2023, and for all tenancies from 1 September 2024.
Minimum housing standards aim to ensure all Queensland rental properties are safe, secure and functional and provide tenants, residents, property managers and owners more clarity around the maintenance obligations for rental properties.
Pets, repair orders and ending a tenancy
Rental law changes around pets, repair orders and ending a tenancy came into effect from 1 October 2022.
Under these changes:
- tenants and property owners/managers have a wider range of specific reasons to end a tenancy with the appropriate notice periods
- a framework has been introduced to support negotiations about renting with pets
- repair orders have been introduced as an additional pathway for tenants to have repairs addressed in a timely manner.