The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) necessarily collects personal information from clients to perform key functions in accordance with the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008. Information about how the RTA protects client privacy is detailed in our Privacy plan.
Website privacy and security statement
The RTA is committed to protecting the privacy of our website users. We understand and appreciate that visitors and users of this website are concerned about their privacy and the confidentiality and security of any information that may be provided to us.
Collection of personal information takes place in a number of ways for example:
- when a person completes and lodges an RTA approved form
- when a person registers to become a principal user of eServices, or uses the eAdministration servicein eServices to update personal information
- when a person submits an online enquiry from the Contact page
- when a person creates an RTA web account to enable the RTA to send them newsletters, emails and surveys, and to order forms online from the RTA.
The information will not be disclosed to a third party without your consent unless authorised or required by law. The RTA will only use personal information in the ways detailed in the Privacy plan.
Your email address details will not be added to a mailing list (unless you so request), nor will we disclose these details to third parties without your consent, unless required by law. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for system trouble-shooting and maintenance purposes.
Cookies are text files that a website can transfer to your computer when you access information on that site. Cookies allow websites to recognise you as you browse their website.
- the type of browser, computer platform and screen resolution you are using
- your traffic patterns throughout our site such as:
- the date and time of your visit to the site
- the pages you have accessed and documents downloaded
- the page visited before accessing this site
- the internet address of the server accessing our site
- access to information collected
No attempt is or will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except, in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect activity logs.
Email correspondence and information provided via web forms will be treated as a public record and will be retained as required by the Public Records Act 2002 and other relevant regulations.
Use and disclosure
We will only use personal information collected via our website for the purposes for which it was given to us and for related, internal management purposes.
We do not share personal information about you with other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- you have consented
- you would expect us to, or we have told you we will
- it is required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health
- the disclosure is reasonably necessary for law enforcement, or for the protection of public revenue.
The RTA takes all reasonable precautions to protect the personal information it holds from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. For more detailed information on privacy please visit the Privacy plan.
Links to other sites
This website contains links to other websites. The RTA is not responsible for the content and privacy practices of other websites.