Ask the RTA – noisy dog

The neighbours next to me are renters and moved in with a dog. I’m not sure if they have approval, but the dog is constantly barking. What can I do ?


Disputes between neighbours are not covered by the Act (including dog barking) however the tenant is required to respect their neighbour’s right to peace, comfort and privacy. If you believe the tenant is interfering with your lifestyle it’s suggested to try to negotiate an agreement with them. If this is unsatisfactory you may wish to speak with their property manager/owner. The tenant should have written permission on their tenancy agreement to have a pet on the premises.

As the RTA cannot become involved in neighbourhood disputes, you may also have a talk with your local council regarding barking dogs, or go through the process with the Dispute Resolution Branch at Department of Justice and Attorney-General.

Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson