Accessing RTA Web Services – your QGov questions answered

Since the RTA launched its first Web Service for bond lodgements in mid-2019, thousands of customers have transitioned to the new service, with more than 40% of all bonds now lodged online through Web Services.

Each week, more than 1800 new customers confirm their details through the Queensland Government’s QGov identity (ID) verification platform.

Even more exciting is that before the end of 2019, customers will also be able to request bond refunds, accept or reject a bond refund request, commence a bond dispute conciliation and update their details through RTA Web Services.

As the number of customers accessing QGov and Web Services increases, we’ve put together responses to your top questions about the digital ID verification platform.

Why is the RTA using QGov?

RTA Web Services is one of a number of Queensland Government online services that require a customer login. For extra security, some of these services require customers to verify their digital identity through QGov. Digital ID verification is a substitute for your signature on a paper form and helps keep your online transactions with the RTA secure.

I’m a property manager/agent – how do I create a QGov account?

If you’re a property manager accessing RTA Web Services, you should register your QGov account using your unique work email. This means you have a dedicated, verified profile for your professional transactions with the RTA.

Why does QGov need my personal ID to register a work-related account?

QGov requires 100 points of Australian or state-issued ID to verify your digital identity. QGov’s online document verification system cross-checks the personal information and reference numbers of the ID documents you provide to prove your digital ID matches your real-world ID.

Please note: The RTA only receives information that is relevant to bond processing. The identity information you use at this point, e.g. drivers licence number or Medicare number is not shared with the RTA.

I need the RTA to send information to my agency’s main email address, not to my work email. Can the RTA do this?

Yes. When you use RTA Web Services – for example to lodge a rental bond – you will be asked to provide contact details for your organisation, which ensures official correspondence is directed to the right place.

I’m a property manager and I rent – do I need two QGov accounts?

Yes. We recommend that you register separate accounts for your personal and business related transactions. Use a unique work email to create a dedicated account for work. Keep your personal transactions separate by creating a second QGov login using your personal email account.

Does the RTA receive copies of my personal ID documents from QGov?

No. If you agree to share your QGov information with the RTA, QGov will only share your name, email address and date of birth with the RTA. We only use this information for the purposes of managing rental bonds and for verifying tenant identities. The RTA does not receive any other details from QGov.

Can I use the email account I share with my partner/business partner?

No. You need a unique email account to create a QGov login and access RTA Web Services. This is to ensure the security and privacy of your online transactions with the RTA.

What if I can’t verify my digital ID?

If you have attempted to register and QGov is unable to verify your identity documents, you may be able to verify in person (more information is available here). If you are still unable to access RTA web services the paper-based form is available from the RTA. Visit our FAQs page for more information.

Find out more information about lodging a bond with RTA Web Services.

Original publication on 06 Nov 2019
Last updated on 22 May 2020

Note: While the RTA makes every reasonable effort to ensure that information on this website is accurate at the time of publication, changes in circumstances after publication may impact on the accuracy of material. This disclaimer is in addition to and does not limit the application of the Residential Tenancies Authority website disclaimer.