QCAT dispute options

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) is responsible for making decisions on a range of residential tenancy disputes. 

There are different types of tenancy disputes, and the RTA recommends customers review:

Non-urgent tenancy disputes

Before submitting a non-urgent tenancy dispute application with QCAT, property managers/owners and tenants/residents must first try to self-resolve their issues with the other party directly or complete the RTA dispute resolution process.  

If parties were unable to reach a mutually acceptable outcome during dispute resolution, the RTA will issue a Notice of unresolved dispute.

The person who initially lodged the Dispute resolution request (Form 16) then has the option to choose to apply to QCAT for decision, and is responsible for paying the filing fee and providing three copies of the application (one for QCAT, one for the applicant, and one for the respondent).

Urgent tenancy disputes

If a matter is urgent (as defined under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008), parties can lodge an urgent application directly with QCAT. 

The term 'urgent' does not mean the application will be fast-tracked, just that it does not have to go through the RTA’s dispute resolution service.