Secondary dwellings

Property owners can choose to rent out secondary dwellings, such as granny flats, to non-household members.

The property owner must obtain all relevant approvals before renting the secondary dwelling, including development/building and council approvals. Owners must also ensure the rental complies with smoke alarm requirements and all other health and safety regulations.

Types of tenancy agreements for secondary dwellings

Depending on the set up of the property, a secondary dwelling may be rented out as either a:

Examples of a secondary dwelling falling under a rooming accommodation agreement could be:

Scenario 1

A rental where a granny flat contains more than one bedroom and each bedroom has been let out separately, with the residents sharing the facilities contained within the flat.

Scenario 2

A rental where the granny flat does not have a kitchen and the occupier is permitted to access the main house to use the kitchen or other facilities.

The agreement must include:

  • the address of the main property
  • what building (or part of the building) is being rented
  • how utilities (including gas and electricity) and water must be paid
  • any special terms (see below).

Special terms

The agreement should also include any special terms outlining arrangements for: