The Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (the Act) does not apply to residential tenancy agreements for boarders or lodgers. However, if a bond is taken from a boarder or lodger it must be lodged with the RTA within 10 days, and a receipt provided.

The Act does cover a tenant in rooming accommodation who may be considered a type of boarder or lodger (e.g. someone who lives in a boarding house, supported accommodation or hostel).

If there is uncertainty about whether a person is classified as a boarder/lodger or a tenant under the Act, call the RTA on 1300 366 311 or make an urgent application to QCAT for a decision.