Share homes and co-tenancies

The property manager/owner must give permission for everyone living at a rental property, even if they are not listed on the tenancy agreement as a tenant.


When two (2) or more people are named as tenants on a tenancy agreement they are known as co-tenants. You may also be a co-tenant if you replace someone who left a co-tenancy agreement. Co-tenants can be jointly, or individually, liable for all the rent.

Changing tenants

If a co-tenant leaves during the tenancy, they will need to get their share of the bond from the tenant moving in, or those remaining. They must also complete a Change of bond contributors (Form 6), and lodge it with the RTA. If all the tenants move out they need to complete a Refund of rental bond (Form 4).


Generally, all bonds must be lodged with the RTA , even when sub-letting or in boarder or lodger situations, failure to do so is an offence. All bond contributors must be listed on the form along with the amount paid.

Anyone receiving a bond must give a receipt to the person who pays the bond to them. This could be the property manager/owner or head-tenant.

Leaving the property

Before leaving a share home, tenants/co-tenants should pay their share of any costs for cleaning, damage or unpaid rent. Co-tenants can be jointly or individually responsible for the full cost of compensation owed to the property manager/owner if the tenancy agreement is breached.

Refund of rental bond (Form 4)
v10 Dec22

The Refund of rental bond (Form 4) is used to request a rental bond refund from the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA). This form should be completed when the tenancy agreement has ended.

Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reason