Charging for utilities

Electricity rebate

The Queensland Government has announced a $1000 cost of living electricity rebate payment for eligible households in 2024-25. Eligibility is determined by factors such as if your premises is separately metered and billed. Learn more at the Queensland Government's website. The Australian Government has also announced a $300 electricity rebate for all households in 2024-25.

Tenants usually pay for services such as electricity, gas, phone and internet. They may also be charged for water (conditions apply).

Separate service changes must be recorded under item 12 in the General tenancy agreement, item 13 in a Moveable dwelling agreement, or item 16 in a Rooming accommodation agreement.

Caravan park

Electricity, water, reticulated gas and sewerage are connected to the park in the name of the property owner/manager.

The property owner/manager can pass these costs on to the tenant by:

  • including the cost of the services with the rent, or
  • adding a separate charge on top of the rent (but only if the service is individually metered to the caravan).

Extra bond

An additional week’s bond may be taken for electricity in a caravan park, if it is individually metered and billed in the owner's name. This cannot be more than 1 weeks rent and must be lodged with the RTA within 10 days.