Rooming accommodation agreement

The Rooming accommodation agreement (Form R18) is for a tenant renting a room.

Rooming accommodation includes:

  • boarding houses
  • supported accommodation services where a person pays for a room and support services (e.g. meals and/or personal care)
  • certain types of student accommodation, and
  • a house where rooms are rented (e.g. where the owner lives in the house and rents rooms to other people)

The agreement is a legally binding written contract that outlines the rights and responsibilities of a tenant and property manager/owner. Special terms can be added if the property manager/owner and tenant agree.

The agreement should be written in a clear way and the property manager/owner must pay for the cost of preparing it.

The agreement must include:

  • the room that can be occupied and what common areas can be used
  • start and end dates of the agreement (or state if it is periodic)
  • house rules
  • the rent and any other costs (e.g. food, personal care, or other services)
  • how rent should be paid (e.g. direct deposit)
  • standard terms – what the tenant and manager/owner can and cannot do
  • any special terms (e.g. if pets may be kept)
  • if a bond is to be charged

Rental bond

A bond does not have to be taken but if it is it must be lodged with the RTA within 10 days using a Bond lodgement (Form 2). If the rent is $500 or less per week, the maximum bond that can be charged is 4 times the weekly rent. If the rent is more than $500 per week, there is no bond limit.

A Condition report (Form R1) must be completed if a bond is taken.