Rooming accommodation – Provider/manager checklist

Rooming accommodation – Provider/manager checklist

This resource for Rooming accommodation providers/managers provides a checklist for things you are required to do at the beginning and end of a tenancy. There are also reminders of key things to be aware of during a tenancy.

908.4 kB Download

At the start of the tenancy

  • Prepare and give a Rooming accommodation agreement (Form R18) to the resident for signing [s77(1)].
    • Clearly itemise the different costs for accommodation and other services you are providing [s77(4e)]. Only include services the resident is paying for as part of their rent. Do not include any services the resident is paying for as part of their NDIS funding package (if applicable).
  • Give the resident a copy of the house rules with their Rooming accommodation agreement [s266, s268, s275].
  • If you take a rental bond, lodge it with the RTA within 10 days using RTA Web Services or the paper Bond lodgement (Form 2) [s116].
  • Provide the resident with a receipt for any money paid (rent, bond) and state what the money is for on the receipt [s102, s145].
  • If you take a bond, complete and sign a Condition report ‒ Rooming accommodation (Form R1), before the tenancy agreement commences. Give a copy of the report to the resident on or before the day the resident occupies the room and ask them to complete and return it to you within 7 days. It is recommended you take photos of the room condition to support the completed report [s80 – 81].
  • If the resident is paying bond instalments, lodge the full bond with the RTA within 10 days of receiving the final instalment. However, if the final instalment was not received within 3 months of receiving the first instalment, lodge the instalments received to date within 3 months and 10 days of receiving the first instalment [s118]

Take time to answer any questions from the resident and make sure they understand all parts of the rooming agreement and house rules. Clear understanding and good communication at the start will help minimise confusion and reduce issues during the tenancy.

During the tenancy


  • Make sure the house rules are displayed [s276].
  • If you want to enter a resident’s room, issue an Entry notice – Rooming accommodation (Form R9) and provide the appropriate notice period [s257 – 265].
  • If rent is to be increased or decreased, follow the rules according to the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 e.g. reduce the rent if the resident is not receiving a food service because they have been away for more than two weeks [s105 – s107].
  • If there is a breach of the agreement, issue a Notice to remedy breach – Rooming accommodation (Form R11) and comply with the applicable timeframes [s368].
  • If you have breached the agreement, the resident may issue you a Notice to remedy breach and action within the applicable timeframe [s378].
  • If you need to end an agreement, issue a Notice to leave – Rooming accommodation (Form R12) within the applicable timeframe [s366].
  • If the resident has a nominated representative in their agreement, you must also issue any notices to this person [s525].

At the end of a tenancy

  • A notice to end the tenancy needs to be given (to the resident) or received (from the resident) in writing and timeframes apply [s366].
  • Check rent is paid up to the end date. If there has been a direct payment set-up, remind the resident to cancel this.
  • Negotiate a suitable time with the resident for them to hand over any keys and/or swipe cards.
  • Inspect the room (if possible, together with the resident before they leave). If there are any issues regarding cleaning or damages, document this and take photos as supporting evidence. Discuss with the resident how the matter will be rectified.
  • If you have taken a rental bond from the resident, coordinate to apply for the bond refund through RTA Web Services or complete and sign a Refund of rental bond (Form 4) together.


  • The resident is to return the room and inclusions in the same condition it was in at the start of the tenancy, excluding fair wear and tear [s253].
  • In most cases, you will be able to arrange for the resident to leave peacefully through negotiation. However, if the resident refuses to leave in accordance with a Notice to leave – Rooming accommodation (Form R12) you have issued, contact Queensland Police to attend the property [s375]. Rooming providers (and anyone assisting them) can use reasonable force to remove the resident and their belongings but only when a police officer is present. You must not hurt the resident or damage their belongings.

Good communication is key to resolving most tenancy problems. If any issues occur during the tenancy, the RTA recommends providers/managers and residents respectfully talk with each other to try and resolve the matter and negotiate workable solutions.

If you cannot reach an agreement, the RTA’s free dispute resolution service may be able to help. You can request assistance by either using RTA Web Services or submitting a paper Dispute resolution request (Form 16).

Helpful resources

Further information

For more information contact the Residential Tenancies Authority.

Accessing RTA forms

The RTA’s forms can be obtained electronically or in person by contacting us.

 Interpreter symbol

Other languages: You can access a free interpreter service by calling the RTA on 1300 366 311 (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm).

Other helpful organisations

Business Queensland has advice on operating a residential service in Queensland.

Residential service providers may become members of the Supported Accommodation Providers Association (Qld).