Online Tenancy Dispute Resolution

Important: This Web Service is for tenancy disputes and cannot be used to submit a bond refund dispute. To learn how to dispute a bond refund visit the Bond Refund Web Service page.

This Web Service can be used to request conciliation for tenancy disputes between the property managers/owners and tenants/residents. Either the managing party or the tenant can submit a request for RTA dispute resolution. 

The dispute reasons you can select in this Web Service vary depending on what stage of the tenancy you are in.

  • During a tenancy: if the RTA holds a bond for the rental, you can use the Web Service to request RTA conciliation for a tenancy dispute, such as repairs, rent arrears, water charges or entry to the property.
  • At the end of the tenancy: when a bond refund is in progress, you can use the Web Service to request a claim greater than the bond. If you’re a tenant, you can also use the Web Service to dispute a listing on a tenancy database.

As you complete the Web Service, information boxes tailored to your situation will guide you through the dispute resolution process.  

Once you submit a request through the Web Service, it will be assessed by the RTA. We will contact you to either set up free RTA conciliation between you and the other party or to provide further information.

Before you begin

Before you submit a request for dispute resolution, you should try to resolve the issue with the other party. See the RTA website for tips on how to self-resolve a tenancy dispute

If you cannot resolve the dispute by speaking with the other party, you will need the following information to submit a request for dispute resolution through this Web Service. 


  • your QGov login details (or create a QGov account)
  • a bond number 
  • unique email addresses for all tenants
  • the details of any notices* you have issued or received.

Managing parties

  • your QGov login details (register for a QGov account now)
  • your organisation’s RTA ID number (for joint lessors and organisations only, individual lessors do not require an RTA ID)
  • the bond number for the relevant tenancy
  • unique email addresses for all tenants
  • the details of any notices* you have issues or received 

For more information about how to create a QGov account visit the RTA's Understanding QGov page.

Note: If you do not have Australian-issued identification and cannot verify your identity through QGov, you can use the RTA’s dispute resolution form and post it to the RTA. You should also use the paper form to request dispute resolution if no rental bond was lodged with the RTA for the tenancy. The RTA cannot verify your identity on behalf of QGov.

*A notice is a written document which formally notifies the other party about an issue with the tenancy and gives them a timeline to fix it. Notices for general tenancies and rooming accommodation can be downloaded from the RTA website. 

Parties are encouraged to view QCAT’s Practice Direction No.4 of 2023, Applications for Residential Tenancy Disputes which outlines what each party must do prior to and at a residential tenancy dispute hearing in order for QCAT to deal with the matter in a way that is informed, fair and efficient.

Remember: Any person knowingly submitting false or misleading details to the RTA is committing an offence under Queensland law. This includes knowingly providing incorrect email addresses for any of the parties.

How does the Web Service work? 

There are several dispute reasons you can select, and these vary depending on your circumstance. You can find out more about this in the Frequently asked questions (FAQs) below. 

As you complete the Web Service, information boxes tailored to your situation will guide you through the dispute resolution process. Please read this information carefully. 

You can view a video of the Web Service below: 

What happens once I submit a request for dispute resolution?

You will receive a confirmation email from the RTA within the hour. If you cannot see this confirmation in your inbox, check your junk mail. 

Once your request has been processed you will receive an acknowledgment with your conciliation number.

Your request will then be assessed by the RTA and we will contact you to:

  • facilitate free conciliation between you and the other party to help both parties reach a solution
  • provide you with information to help you to resolve the dispute 
  • issue a Notice of Unresolved Dispute which will allow you to progress the dispute onto the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) OR
  • inform you that the issue is not suitable for dispute resolution. 

The RTA’s dispute resolution process is outlined in the table below:

Tenancy dispute resolution flowchart

You can also find out more about the conciliation process on our website

Does the RTA notify other people involved in the dispute?

The RTA will contact the person who lodged the dispute first. Depending on the circumstance, our staff may then contact the other party to discuss the dispute and, if suitable, arrange a telephone conference.

If you are named as a nominated party in a dispute (by one of the other tenants in the property) you will be notified via email. If you do not want to be part of the dispute or conciliation, you can reply to this email and opt out. 

Helpful resources

For all customers

For tenants

For managing parties


Further information

For more information contact the Residential Tenancies Authority.