Rooming accommodation – Resident checklist for supported accommodation and boarding house residents

Rooming accommodation – Resident checklist for supported accommodation and boarding house residents

This is an easy-read introduction to things to know about renting in rooming accommodation. The checklist tells you the most important things to do:

  • before you start a tenancy
  • when you start a tenancy
  • during a tenancy
  • at the end of a tenancy. 
891.8 kB Download

Resident checklist – Starting, during and ending a tenancy

There are laws in Queensland that outline rules when renting. These rules are important and let you know what you need to do, and what your provider or manager needs to do.

Starting a tenancy

  • Look at the room to make sure it suits you and your needs. Ask questions if you are unsure of anything.
  • If you decide to live there, you need to read and sign an agreement, which will tell you:
    • how much rent to pay
    • when rent is due
    • what is included – if you have NDIS funding for personal care, your rent payments should not go toward any services that are already paid for using NDIS funding
    • how long you can stay
    • if there are any house rules – these are rules just for this place.
  • Get a receipt for any money you pay. You may be asked to pay:
    • rent in advance up to 2 weeks
    • a bond.
  • If you pay a bond:
    • the amount will be up to 4 weeks’ rent and this will be sent to the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) to hold until you move out
    • your provider/manager needs to give you a Condition report – Rooming accommodation (Form R1) on the first day of your tenancy, or earlier. Fill out the Condition report and take photos of your room, including any damage such as scratches on the wall or stains on the floor. Return the Condition report to the provider/manager within 7 days of the start of your tenancy.

During your tenancy

  • Pay your rent on time.
  • Follow the rules for common areas (such as kitchen, bathroom and living areas). For example, there may be rules about how much noise you can make or how clean or tidy you need to be.
  • Keep your room clean and tidy.
  • The provider/manager can inspect your room if they give you the right advance notice and form, such as an Entry notice (Form R9).
  • Talk to a friend, family member or support person if you need help understanding any forms or notices.
  • Tell your provider/manager if something needs to be fixed.

At the end of your tenancy

  • Give your provider/manager a Notice of intention to leave – Rooming accommodation (Form R13) if you plan to move out.
  • Make sure you take all your belongings with you. Double check that you haven’t left anything behind in your room and any common areas.
  • Check if you need to do any cleaning or fix any damage. You need to leave the room like it was when you moved in.
  • Give back all the keys and any remote controls or access cards that were given to you.
  • If you paid a bond, talk to your provider/manager about getting your bond back.

Information and support

If you need help to know the rules and your rights, you can contact the RTA. The RTA is here to help you, and everyone involved in renting with free information and support.

If you are experiencing domestic and family violence which impacts your accommodation, please contact the RTA for options or see our Domestic and family violence – information for residents factsheet.

Further information

For more information contact the Residential Tenancies Authority.

Accessing RTA forms

The RTA’s forms can be obtained electronically or in person by contacting us.

 Interpreter symbol

Other languages: You can access a free interpreter service by calling the RTA on 1300 366 311 (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm).

Other support organisations

If you need advocacy help or support, you can contact QSTARS. Call QSTARS on 1300 744 263, for free tenant advice in Queensland.

All supported accommodation services and boarding houses should be registered with Regulatory Services and you can view them in the public register of residential services. If you suspect an unregistered boarding house or supported accommodation service is operating, contact Regulatory Services within the Department of Housing, Local Government, Planning and Public Works​​ at or call (07) 3013 2666.