Bond refunds

Refund of rental bond (Form 4)
v10 Dec22

The Refund of rental bond (Form 4) is used to request a rental bond refund from the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA). This form should be completed when the tenancy agreement has ended.

A bond refund request should be completed and sent to the RTA when the tenancy has ended. 

Tenants or property managers/owners can submit a bond refund form online using RTA Web Services or the paper-based Refund of rental bond (Form 4) on or after the tenancy end date or handover date has occurred. You cannot apply before this date and penalties may apply for providing false and misleading information. 

The quickest and easiest way to get a bond refund is for all tenant/s listed as bond contributors and the property manager/owner to reach an agreement about how the bond is to be paid out. 

It is essential that you update your details with the RTA, including your forwarding address, contact details and bank account when you leave the rental property. Bonds are refunded into Australian bank accounts. 

If you have provided the RTA with an email address, we will send you updates on the progress of your bond refund.

Agreed refunds

  • There must be an agreement on how the bond should be paid.
  • Tenants or property managers/owners can request and agree to a bond refund online using RTA Web Services
  • Alternatively, everyone listed on the bond must sign the paper Refund of rental bond (Form 4) request and submit it to the RTA.

The RTA is committed to processing your bond refund request on the same day it is received. However, please allow up to five business days for the funds to reach your bank account.

Refunds are only paid into Australian bank accounts (no cheques).

Disputed refunds

A disputed refund is when:

  • not everyone signs the same bond refund form, and/or
  • there is no agreement about how the bond should be paid

When this occurs the RTA:

  • releases any undisputed amounts
  • holds any disputed amount/s, and
  • sends a Notice of claim to the people whose signature/agreement is missing from the request. They will have 14 days to disagree with the request or submit a Dispute resolutions request (Form 16) to the RTA.

Understanding the disputed bond refund process in detail 

The RTA encourages all parties to try and resolve any issues in the first instance. 

The RTA will process the first bond refund request made (Party A). If the other person (Party B), whose signature/agreement is missing, disagrees with Party A’s refund request, they can dispute the claim within the timeframe stated to prevent payment. 

The RTA will send Party B a Notice of claim and Party B can disagree digitally via Web Services or submit a Dispute resolution request (Form 16) to the RTA by the due date.  

If the RTA does not receive a digital response via Web Services or a completed Form 16 from Party B within the 14 day period as stated on the notice, the bond will be paid out, as directed on Party A’s bond refund form. 

If Party B disagrees on the bond refund through the above process, it will commence the dispute process with the RTA’s dispute resolution service where a conciliator will try to help resolve the disagreement. If agreement is reached, both parties will need to sign a bond refund form and the bond is paid out as what is agreed in this process. 

If agreement is not reached, Party B (the person who disputed the refund form) can apply to QCAT for a decision. They must do so within 7 days and notify the RTA in writing of the QCAT application within the correct timeframe. 

If no QCAT application is lodged by Party B within the 7 day timeframe, the RTA will pay the bond as directed on Party A’s bond refund form.  

Bond loans

The RTA will deduct the amount owing on the bond loan from the tenant’s refund and pay it directly to the Department of Housing, Local Government, Planning and Public Works​​.

Requesting a refund

Emailed or photocopied forms will not be accepted.

Important: If you are unable to use RTA Web Services or post and you need urgent help to submit a bond refund form, please contact the RTA and we'll help you.

It is an offence under Queensland tenancy law to knowingly give false or misleading information to the RTA.