Exit condition report

The Exit condition report shows the condition of the property and any inclusions (e.g. furniture) when the tenant leaves.

There is no Exit condition report form for rooming accommodation.

The Exit condition report is an important part of the bond refund process. It is compared to the Entry condition report to determine if the property is in the same condition as when the tenant moved in, apart from fair wear and tear.

Ideally, the tenant and property manager/owner should complete the report together, however it can be completed separately.

What to do

  • tenant thoroughly cleans the property (handy tips)
  • tenant and property manager/owner complete the Exit condition report (together or separately)
  • tenant vacates the property  
  • property manager/owner sends a completed copy of the report to the tenant at their new address within 3 business days
  • once the property has been vacated, the tenant may request a bond refund  (as long as no money is owed to the property manager/owner for rent, damages or other costs)

The property manager/owner must keep a copy of the signed report for at least 1 year after the tenancy ends.

Bond refunds 

A bond refund request should be completed and sent to the RTA when the tenancy has ended. 

Tenants or property managers/owners can submit a bond refund form online using RTA Web Services or the paper-based Refund of rental bond (Form 4) on or after the tenancy end date or handover date has occurred. You cannot apply before this date and penalties may apply for providing false and misleading information. 

The quickest and easiest way to get a bond refund is for all tenant/s listed as bond contributors and the property manager/owner to reach an agreement about how the bond is to be paid out. 

It is essential that you update your details with the RTA, including your forwarding address, contact details and bank account when you leave the rental property. Bonds are refunded into Australian bank accounts. 

Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson