Domestic violence in a rental property

Changes to Queensland rental laws came into effect from 6 June 2024. Learn more about the changes and what they mean for you. 

On 20 October 2021, the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (the Act) was amended to provide options for people experiencing domestic and family violence who need to leave a tenancy.

These changes, coupled with existing protections in the Act, support tenants experiencing domestic and family violence to end a tenancy quickly, or if they choose, to remain in the rental property safely. 

A person who experiences domestic and family violence in a rental property has rights under the Act, even if they are not named on the tenancy agreement.

What is domestic and family violence?

Under the Act, domestic violence has the meaning given by the Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act 2012.

Domestic and family violence occurs when one person in an intimate personal, family or informal carer relationship behaves towards the other person in the relationship in a way that is:

  • physically or sexually abusive
  • verbally abusive
  • emotionally or psychologically abusive
  • economically abusive
  • threatening
  • coercive
  • in any other way controlling or dominating the second person and causes them to fear for their safety or wellbeing or that of someone else.

Domestic and family violence covers a wide range of behaviours including:

  • causing personal injury to a person or threatening to do so
  • coercing a person to engage in sexual activity or attempting to do so
  • damaging a person’s property or threatening to do so
  • depriving a person of the person’s liberty or threatening to do so
  • threatening a person with the death or injury of the person, a child of the person, or someone else
  • threatening to commit suicide or self-harm so as to torment, intimidate or frighten the person to whom the behaviour is directed
  • causing or threatening to cause the death of, or injury to, an animal, whether or not the animal belongs to the person to whom the behaviour is directed, so as to control, dominate or coerce the person
  • unauthorised surveillance of a person
  • unlawfully stalking a person.

For more information refer to the Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act 2012 section 8. 

What can I do?

The below flowcharts outline what a tenant/resident can do, or how the managing party can help them to end a tenancy quickly or remain in the rental property safely if they are experiencing domestic and family violence (DFV).

Where can I get more help or information?

Everyone deserves to feel safe at home—domestic and family violence is never acceptable.

Related resources: Help and support is available for Queenslanders affected by domestic and family violence.

Emergency response000 (available 24/7) call for police, ambulance or fir services if you are in imminent danger or been harmed or involved in a violent incident
Policelink131 444 (available 24/7 for non-urgent incidents, crimes or police enquiries)
DV Connect (for women)1800 811 811
DV Connect (for men)1800 600 636
Aboriginal & Torres Strait (ATSI) Women's Legal & Advocacy Service07 3720 9089
Legal Aid Queensland1300 651 188
Women's Legal Service07 3392 0670 or areas outside Brisbane 1800 677 278
Integrated Indigenous Strategy Unit - Legal Aid Queensland1300 650 143
Immigrant Women's Support Service07 3846 3490
Brisbane Domestic Violence Service07 3217 2544
Disability Support ServicesContact your local service centre or call 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Elder Abuse Prevention Unit1300 651 192
Tenants Queensland1300 744 263
Department of Justice and Attorney-General13 74 68
1800RESPECT1800 737 732 (available 24/7)

Further information

For more information contact the Residential Tenancies Authority.

Accessing RTA forms

The RTA’s forms can be obtained electronically or in person by contacting us.

Interpreter symbolOther languages: You can access a free interpreter service by calling the RTA on 1300 366 311 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm).

Domestic and family violence report
v9 Oct22

The Domestic and family violence report which must be completed and signed by an authorised professional can be provided as a type of relevant evidence to support that a tenant/resident is/has been experiencing domestic and family violence.  

95 kB Download