Rooming accommodation – Resident checklist for during and ending a tenancy

Rooming accommodation – Resident checklist for during and ending a tenancy

This resource has reminders and tips about key rights and responsibilities during your tenancy. There is also a checklist showing what to do at the end of your tenancy.

927.5 kB Download

During and ending a tenancy

When renting a room, it is important to know what you can expect from your provider/manager and what they expect from you. There are tenancy laws in Queensland that outline the rules when renting.

For information about starting a tenancy, please go to the Rooming accommodation ‒ Resident checklist for starting
a tenancy

Keep your tenancy documents in a safe place. You may need them in the future if you and the provider/manager disagree about something.

Things to remember during your tenancy

  • Pay your rent on time.
  • Follow the house rules.
  • Follow the rules for common areas (such as the kitchen, bathroom and living areas). For example, there may be rules about how much noise you can make or how clean or tidy you need to be.
  • Keep your room clean and tidy.
  • Tell your provider/manager if things break down or if you damage something.
  • Respect the peace and privacy of others in the accommodation.
  • Let your manager/provider know if you are going away for a while. For example, if you receive meals or personal services as part of your rent, you can arrange for a rent discount if you go away for more than two weeks.
  • There are rules about privacy and when the provider/manager can go into your room. If your provider/manager wants to inspect your room, they need to give advance notice, in writing. You and your provider/manager may have other agreements about coming into your room – for example, to provide services such as personal care or cleaning.
  • Don’t ignore any notices (such as letters, forms or emails) from the provider/manager, they have been given to you for a reason. Speak to a friend, family member or support person if you need help understanding what the notice is about.

More information about notices: For example, if you get a Notice to remedy breach – Rooming accommodation (Form R11), the provider/manager is telling you they think you may have done something that is against the rules of the rooming agreement. You may need to fix the problem by the date in the notice. If you don’t, you may be given a Notice to leave – Rooming accommodation (Form R12), which tells you the provider/manager wants you to move out by a certain date.

If your provider/manager does something wrong, you can also give them a Notice to remedy breach – Rooming accommodation (Form R11).

Reminder: If there is a problem, try to respectfully talk with your provider/manager first. If you aren’t sure of your rights and responsibilities, contact the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA). You can also ask a support person (or friend/family member) to speak to the RTA on your behalf.

If you cannot reach an agreement with your provider/manager, the RTA has a free dispute resolution service that may help.

If you are experiencing domestic and family violence which impacts your accommodation, please contact the RTA for options or see our Domestic and family violence – information for residents factsheet.

At the end of your tenancy

  • If you plan to leave, give your provider/manager the right amount of notice in writing using a Notice of intention to leave – Rooming accommodation (Form R13). If the date you plan to leave is before your rooming agreement ends, you may be responsible for compensation. Visit our website for more information about ending an agreement early.
  • If the provider/manager has asked you to leave, make sure they have given you a written Notice to leave – Rooming accommodation (Form R12) with the right amount of notice. If you are unsure, get your support person, family member or friend to check.
  • Even if you decide to leave early, make sure you pay rent until the end date on your Notice to leave or Notice of intention to leave.
  • If you have a direct payment set up with your bank, you will need to cancel this.
  • Make sure you take all your belongings with you. Double check before you leave the room.
  • Leave the room in the same condition it was in when you moved in. If you have forgotten, you can look at your Condition report – Rooming accommodation (Form R1) (if there is one) and any photos you may have taken.
  • Check if you need to do any cleaning or fix any damage.
  • Give back all the keys and any remote controls or swipe cards that were given to you.
  • If you paid a bond, talk to your provider/manager about getting your bond back. You will need an Australian bank account to receive a bond refund.
  • It is usually a good idea to provide your new contact details to your provider/manager. If you have paid a rental bond, it is important to check the RTA has your updated contact details.

Further information

For more information contact the Residential Tenancies Authority.

Accessing RTA forms

The RTA’s forms can be obtained electronically or in person by contacting us.

 Interpreter symbol

Other languages: You can access a free interpreter service by calling the RTA on 1300 366 311 (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm).

Other support organisations

If you need advocacy help or support, you can contact QSTARS. Call QSTARS on 1300 744 263, for free tenant advice in Queensland.

All supported accommodation services and boarding houses should be registered with Regulatory Services and you can view them in the public register of residential services. If you suspect an unregistered boarding house or supported accommodation service is operating, contact Regulatory Services within the Department of Housing, Local Government, Planning and Public Works​​ at or call (07) 3013 2666.