If a tenant would like to sub-let a room in a rental property, they must get written permission from the property manager/owner. Approved occupants should also be listed in the special terms of the tenancy agreement.

Rules of sub-letting

When a tenant named on an agreement gives another person the right to rent part, or all, of the property they are called a head-tenant. 

As a head-tenant, they have the same responsibilities as a property manager/owner. That includes providing the sub-tenant with:


Any agreement between a head-tenant and sub-tenant should be in writing, and it is recommended to include arrangements for sharing bills (e.g. gas, electricity or internet).

Whether occupants are co-tenants or sub-tenants depends on their specific circumstances and what has been agreed with the head-tenant.

If there is uncertainty about whether a person is classified as a tenant or a sub-tenant, call the RTA or make an urgent application to QCAT for a decision.

The property manager/owner is not responsible for resolving disputes between tenants.


All bonds must be lodged with the RTA using the Online Bond Lodgement facility, even when sub-letting or in boarder or lodger situations, failure to do so is an offence. All bond contributors must be listed on the form along with the amount paid.

Anyone receiving a bond must give a receipt to the person who pays the bond to them. This could be the property manager/owner or head-tenant.

Leaving the property

Before leaving a share home, all tenants should pay their share of any costs for cleaning, damage or unpaid rent.

Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson