How to request an investigation


Rental law changes introducing minimum housing standards will come into effect for new tenancies from 1 September 2023, and for all tenancies from 1 September 2024.  

Customers can request an investigation by submitting an Investigation Request Kit to the RTA.

An Investigation Request Kit can also be provided by contacting the RTA.

It is important to carefully read and provide all the requested information and evidence when submitting the kit. 

Once the RTA receives the kit, it will be assigned to an investigator generally within one week (this may be longer in peak periods) who will contact the customer.  


Investigation Request Kit

Has your bond been lodged with the RTA?
Have you attempted to resolve this with the other party?
Have you requested dispute resolution assistance from the RTA?
Are you concerned about the amounts being claimed in the bond refund process?
Has your dispute resolutions matter finalised?
Is the other party a real estate agent or on-site manager?
Are there any other concerns you wish to have investigated in addition to a bond not being lodged and/or rent money being used for another purpose?
Is your concern relating to a breach of your agreement?
Is your concern relating to a disagreement over property maintenance?
Are you concerned that an offence occurred against the RTRA Act 2008?
Has the alleged offence occurred less than 2 years ago?
Is your concern regarding rent being used for another purpose by a real estate agent or on site property manager? (e.g. to cover a water bill or pay for repairs)
Are there any others concerns you would like to have investigated?
Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reason