QCAT order


Rental law changes introducing minimum housing standards came into effect for new tenancies (including renewed tenancy agreements) from 1 September 2023, and will come into effect for all remaining tenancies on 1 September 2024.

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) can end a tenancy agreement for various reasons such as:

QCAT can also make an order about goods and documents left behind.

If a tenancy dispute is urgent (defined by the Act), the tenant or property manager/owner can apply directly to QCAT to have the tenancy ended. If it is non-urgent dispute, they must go through dispute resolution with the RTA before applying to QCAT.

Parties are encouraged to view QCAT’s Practice Direction No.4 of 2023, Applications for Residential Tenancy Disputes which outlines what each party must do prior to and at a residential tenancy dispute hearing in order for QCAT to deal with the matter in a way that is informed, fair and efficient.