Unclaimed bonds

A bond may be considered 'unclaimed' if the bond refund is not paid out when a tenancy has ended.

Most commonly, when a tenancy ends, a Refund of rental bond (Form 4) is completed by the tenants and the property manager/owner. The parties agree on how the bond will be refunded and the funds are paid by direct deposit into a nominated Australian bank account.

Bonds can only be refunded to a current Australian bank account. Make sure you include these details on your form.

If you have previously rented and vacated a property, or managed one in Queensland, and believe you are owed a bond refund, call the RTA on 1300 366 311. You must be able to provide sufficient details related to the tenancy before the RTA will re-issue a payment.

Tenants should inform the RTA of their forwarding address and email when they move. The property manager/owner is not responsible for updating tenant’s details with the RTA.

You will need to provide:

  • Full name
  • Address of the former rental property
  • You will need to know at least 3 other things about the tenancy such as:
    • Other tenants’ names
    • The lessor, agent or provider
    • Weekly rent paid
    • Bond amount
    • Tenancy start and end dates
    • A copy of your old tenancy agreement would be useful
  • Your bank account details, which you can provide quickly and easily via the RTA’s Update Your Details Web Service. Alternatively, you can fill in a Update your details form and email it to the RTA. 
Was this page helpful?

Please note that we cannot respond to any comments made here. If you need a response, please contact us

Please select a reson