The quickest and easiest way to get a bond refund is for the tenant and the property manager/owner to reach agreement about how the bond is to be paid out.
The Refund of rental bond (Form 4) should be completed and sent to the RTA when the tenancy has ended.
- there is agreement on how the bond should be paid
- everyone listed on the bond signs the refund form
- refunds are paid within 2-3 working days
Refunds are only paid into Australian bank accounts (no cheques).
- not everyone signs the same bond refund form, and/or
- there is no agreement about how the bond should be paid
When this occurs the RTA:
- releases any undisputed disputed amounts
- holds any disputed amount/s, and
- sends a Notice of claim to the people who did not sign the refund form. They will have 14 days to dispute the bond claim.
The RTA may assist with dispute resolution.
The RTA will deduct the amount owing on the bond loan from the tenant’s refund and pay it directly to the Department of Housing and Public Works.
Requesting a refund
- post: RTA, GPO Box 390, Brisbane Q 4001
Faxed, emailed or photocopied forms will not be accepted.
Warning - it is an offence under Queensland tenancy law to knowingly give false or misleading information to the RTA.
If all agree about bond refund
If the tenants/residents and the property manager/owner or provider agree about the bond refund:
- they all sign the Refund of rental bond form (Form 4) and submit it to the RTA online, by mail or in person
- if the form is signed as agreed by all people the bond refund is generally processed within 2-3 working days
- the fastest way to get a bond refund is to provide bank account details on the bond refund form
If all do NOT agree about refund
If the tenants/residents and lessor/agent/provider do not agree about the bond refund at the end of the tenancy:
Either the tenant/resident OR the property manager/owner or provider can complete and submit a Refund of rental bond (Form 4) to the RTA online, by post (not fax or email) or in person without all the signatures. This is called making a claim on the bond. A Refund of rental bond only requires 1 signature of a person named on the bond record to begin the bond refund process.
The RTA will process this form by:
- releasing any undisputed amounts of the bond as directed on the Refund of rental bond form
- holding any disputed amounts
- sending a Notice of claim to any party who did not sign the form
Then the process is:
- If they do not respond within 14 days, the bond is paid in full to the person who lodged the bond refund form first.
- If they do respond and dispute the claim, they will need to go through dispute resolution with the RTA.
- If an agreement is reached, all people sign the Refund of rental bond form and the bond is paid out as agreed.
- If an agreement is not reached, the person who did not lodge the first Refund of rental bond form can apply to the tribunal for a decision. They must do so within 7 days and notify the RTA in writing that they have lodged the tribunal application by the due date.
- If no tribunal application is lodged, the RTA will pay the bond to the person who first lodged the Refund of rental bond form.