Refund of rental bond (Form 4)
Bond refund requests are made to the RTA using the Refund of rental bond.
This form should be completed when the tenancy agreement has ended. The RTA cannot accept this form before the expiry date of the appropriate notice - Notice to leave (Form 12), Notice of intention to leave (Form 13) or Abandonment termination notice (Form 15).
Refunds are only paid into Australian bank accounts (no cheques).
Filling out the form
All relevant fields need to be completed to avoid processing delays. The tenant should include their forwarding address on the form.
If there is agreement
The fastest way to receive bond money is when there is agreement on how the bond should be paid.
- everyone listed on the bond signs the refund form
- refunds are paid within 2-3 working days
If there is no agreement
- not everyone signs the same bond refund form, and/or
- there is no agreement about how the bond should be paid
When this occurs the RTA:
- releases any undisputed amounts
- holds any disputed amount/s, and
- sends a Notice of claim to the people who did not sign the refund form. They will have 14 days to dispute the bond claim.
The RTA may help with dispute resolution.
Where a bond loan is still outstanding, the loan balance will be deducted from the tenant’s refund amount and paid directly to the Department of Housing and Public Works.
- do not use correction fluid
- everyone must sign any alteration to bond amounts (full signatures are required)
Lodging the form
Only original, signed forms should be submitted to the RTA. Faxed, emailed or photocopied forms will not be accepted.
- online: the form can be uploaded online.
- post: RTA, GPO Box 390, Brisbane Q 4001
Any person knowingly submitting false or misleading details on the refund form is committing an offence under Queensland law.
|Form 4 – Refund of rental bond
|Download (PDF 94KB)
Current version: v5 Oct16